"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows." - Helen Keller

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Favorite Lecture #1

One of my favorite lectures was one from the beginning of the semester. On the first day we started to speak about Antigone, Professor Brady asked us to rank a list of phrases on a scale from most important to least important. This list was: Protection of community/nation, Protection of personal dignity, Observance to civil law, Loyalty or obligation to family, Freedom, and Obedience to civil law. I ranked "Loyalty or obligation to family" as most important to me and "Protection of personal dignity" as least important. I did so because I feel like loyalty to family is one of the most important things a person can have in their life. Like the old saying goes, blood is thicker than water. The bonds you make with family members should withstand events that get thrown your way and should not be broken. I enjoyed this lecture because it opened my eyes to the importance of each, which I never really thought about before. It also made me think hard about what would place 2nd-5th on my list of importance. I think this was a great way to help us sympathize with Antigone, even before we began reading the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment